of the fastest growing occupations will require STEM skills and knowledge (The Australian Industry Group 2013).
The Successful Students - STEM program
is focused on improving Geelong based students’:
- Interest and attainment in Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics related subjects
- Understanding of 21st century industries and STEM practices
The program will be working with teachers of years 7 and 8 students across a range of secondary colleges in the city of greater Geelong.
The expected outcomes are:
- Increased sophistication of teachers’ incorporation of STEM practices into their teaching
- Increased student awareness and aspirations
- Improvement in amount and quality of student participation in STEM activities and studies
- Improvement in students’ confidence in subjects like science and mathematics
- Increased incorporation of the STEM practices into the school programs